The following article will help people who planning to move to a new destination. Check out a week by week guide that will simplify your moving venture-
Six to Eight weeks before you move.
- Be organized as it will help you the most while moving. Start collecting the details regarding your move.
- Decide which items you wan to transit to your new destination
- Start gathering information on the packing and moving supplies if you intend to go for self packing
- Start planning about the layout of your new destination and think where the furniture should be placed.
- Start knowing your community. Ask information on community programs, schools, recreation and parks
- Make the travel arrangements at this point of time. Ensure keeping your plans flexible so that you can accommodate any delays or changes.
- Keep aside the receipts of the expenses related to moving in a separate folder.
- Finalize all rental and real estate needs
- Contact the insurance agent for transferring medical, fire, property as well as auto insurance.
- Keep all the dental and medical records in a safe as well as easily accessible place. Ensure including prescription, eyeglass specifications as well as vaccination records.
- Plan on taking viable documents like stock certificates, wills as well as other type of items (photos, coin collection, jewelry etc)
Four weeks before making a move-
- Discard, give away or sell all unwanted goods
- Inform your local post office to redirect you mails to your new destination
- Obtain dental and medical records
- Complete marriage and birth records
- Get hold of school records
- Inform insurance company and be sure to transfer or cancel all policies ( car, house, life)
- Inform credit card companies and bank and arrange for closure or transfer of accounts
- Inform I.R.D., electoral office, government departments, local clubs ,solicitor, and church.
- Transfer or Cancel subscriptions for publications.
- If you are planning to move to overseas, make sure to finalize passports, travel bookings, visas and accommodations.
Two weeks before moving
- Confirm moving and packing dates with the movers
- Cancel electricity, phone and gas service
- Dispose off all flammables and paints.
Immediately before making a move
- Cancel each and every delivery services ( fuel, newspaper, bread and milk)
- Ensure emptying the fuel from the mowers
- Defrost the fridge after removing the eatables
- Collect any dry cleaning or laundry
- Clean the medicine cabinet
- Arrange for light breakfast on the moving day, prefer using disposable utensils
- Disconnect all the electrical appliances
- Remove all light shades, curtains, mirrors and pictures
On the final day of moving
- Double check the house and see if you have missed out on anything or not
- Sign an inventory with the mover and keep a copy with you as well
- Don’t forget to take the travel related documents
- Get moving quotes form at least 3
Log on to the website for more information.